Started from 8th January until 11th February, these winter sales are considered as one of the most anticipated events in Paris. Huge department stores, designer boutiques, haute couture and beauty brands participate to clear out items even in the first wave of sales-gradually from 30%-50%. The sales are also available online and offered by majority of top Paris’ stores including Galeries Lafayette that have started their online “Soldissimes” even before the day D. This euphoric event attracts not only Parisians, but also people from around the world. After Christmas and New Year holidays, it is the perfect timing to revolutionize your closet. Of course, the frantic experience, like waiting in long queues, being conquest by “crazy” shopaholics who fight for the same items, or not being able to find the right size of your favourite piece even after the first day of sales may sounds unpleasant. However, the winter sales will give a fresh kick in the new 2014 for the genuine fashionistas.
Nadia (25) spent two hours at Galeries Lafayette on the first day of sales. According to her, “It was crazy, crowded, and even psychic.” However, she added that she bought a leather bag, a coin purse, sunglasses, and a wallet. Air (25) who went there early in the morning said it was not too crowded and stated, “It was a nice experience, I had time to try and ticked off my fashion wish list. I even bought a handbag for my mother.”
If you are a first time shopper to participate in these Parisian ‘soldes’, we have prepared some tips just for you:
- Do a little ‘research’ before the sales start. Do the fitting and make the choice in advance to save time
- Arrive early, according to our shopping insider. Avoid the rush hours and the weekends.
- Choose your location wisely. Our advise, if you want to find everything at one place, you can visit multi brands department stores, like Galeries Lafayette, Printemps, Bon Marché or for bigger sales, consider Colette. If you are up for more personal experience, go to small designer shops in Le Marais or Saint Germain des Prés.
- If you can’t make it and you are too busy, you can also shop online.
Take a look at our slideshow for a list of our favorite finds from the sale.
1. Calvin Klein Low Boots Suzie, from 99 to 69,99 Euros at Galeries Lafayette
2. Comme des Garçons Coat, from 1,645 to 822,50 Euros at Colette
3.Valentino Bag, from 1,590 to 795 Euros at Colette
4.Van Cleef & Arpels Féerie EDT, 95 to 57 Euros at Galeries Lafayette.
Ultimately, as mentioned before, these sales will last for five weeks, so be prepared for the second and third wave when the discounts may go up to 80%.
By Kristina Gligorovska & Christine Evans